2017 SI One Hr Endurance winner - Chris Henderson
Photo: Euan Cameron
FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS…
The South Canterbury Car Club Inc was formed
in 1947 running hillclimbs and paddock events.
The club progressed from this to running the Waimate 50 Street
Race on the streets of Waimate until 1966.
In 1967 a street event was run in Timaru in the Craigie Avenue
Land was purchased at Falvey Road and a permanent 1.6km circuit
built. The first event was held in November of that same year.
The club continued to develop this venue running club and National
Championship racing. In 1988 it was decided that it was time to
move up a level and increase the length of the circuit and develop
it up to the international standard that it is today.
The circuit is now licenced to FIA category 3 which allows the
club to run international events as well as National Championships
including the NZ Touring Cars and Super Truck Racing.